It was difficult for my to decide upon a social movement to evaluate. I brainstormed several ideas and thought it may be interesting to study groups whose rhetoric I’m very opposed to, like the Meninism movement or the #GamerGate misogynists, but I figured that, because I’m going to be analyzing this group for several months, I should choose one that I wholeheartedly support and enjoy listening to. Therefore, the social movement whose rhetoric I will be evaluating is the Anti-War Movement. I realize that anti-war philosophy is a broad, multi-faceted, and complicated subject, so in the interest of specificity, I’ll focus mainly on pacifists in the United States and how they shaped the anti-war rhetoric we can observe today. In this manner, I can look closely at the hippie movements in the 1960s in opposition to the Vietnam war, scholars in academia who advocate pacifism, and modern rhetors of anti-war protests in pop-culture, political arenas, art, and education.
Having been raised in a UN family, I had the opportunity to grow up in Kenya, Madagascar, Egypt, and Cambodia before moving to the United States for University. Because of this strange upbringing, I was lucky enough to make friends from all corners of the world and learn of their cultures, customs, and beliefs. With this sort of global perspective, we all developed very anti-war philosophies, believing that violence and conflict is never an acceptable, nor an appropriate means to solve global issues. We were also pretty anti-guns as well. This is why the Anti-War Movement is the one I’d like to analyze; it’s a topic that I feel very passionately about.
Over the next few months, I’ll be specifically looking into:
- What rhetorical devices do pop-pacifists such as hippies employ to engage their audience?
- What methods of rhetoric do academic and scholarly critics use to evaluate pacifist speech?
- What has been the socio-political impact of pacifist rhetoric, and how do terministic screens affect these arenas?
- Within the scope of Neo-Aristotelian criticism, what devices are employed in pacifist rhetoric?
- How has pacifist rhetoric evolved to a form of digital delivery and remediated itself to the internet?
- Finally, how has pacifist rhetoric shaped western culture and what impact will it have on future generations?
Through these research guidelines, I hope to develop a succinct and well-investigated evaluation of pacifist rhetoric and how it has affected western culture.